Connect with us

Food UK

We broke 4 fundamental cooking rules to see what would happen

Published

on

It’s time to shake things up so today we are testing whether certain cooking rules HAVE to be followed… or if they can be broken?!

Check out CBA 3 here: https://store.sortedfood.com/products/cant-be-arsed-3

Time to CANCEL your boring dinners!

It’s easier than you think to cook up banging recipes… Click here to try Sidekick FREE for 30 days: https://bit.ly/3tfFgsR

The awesome benefits of the Sidekick app:
– Unlock your kitchen confidence to discover awesome new ingredients and dishes
– Reduce the stress of deciding what to cook EVERY day
– Grocery shopping made simple, with an automatically-generated list
– Cook more sustainably & reduce your food waste

Find the perfect Sorted Food gift for your loved ones this Christmas: https://store.sortedfood.com/

source

Continue Reading
46 Comments

46 Comments

1. @nethi16

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

hey now, what about white wine with meat???

2. @midorikagekamisama4447

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I have to confess I always go dry into wet. I tried it once the other way around with a pancake batter, and that did not work out well. There were still clumps of flour left in the batter, so I never tried again.

3. @_tnto_

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

For pasta, the kind of uneven cooking and too starchy outside increase as the time in cold water increases (for example cooking for a lot of people at time with a not-powerful enough stove).
    Also, pinot noir is often used to make white wine in Italy.

4. @TherapyDerg

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Life hack for rice: To save cooked rice at nearly as good quality as fresh what you want to do is use cling wrap. Take some cling wrap, place a nice serving of rice on it, make sure it is entirely wrapped nice and tight, once that has cooled off put it into a freezer bag and pop it into the freezer. To reheat it just 30 seconds per side flipping it over until steaming. This method I found saves all the water inside of it, resteaming it perfectly.

5. @TherapyDerg

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

3:19, behold, the throat goat, bow down ya'll.

6. @kayvee101

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Good medical video on the bacterial infection 😊

7. @chrismaclaine3871

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

i always thought the wet into dry was for moisture control, so that you don't use too much liquid and make something too wet. especially if you are cooking in a particularly humid place that can effect the consistency

8. @masteridiot123

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I’m sorry, did you, a professional chef, just say you start with a seasoning oil for an egg fried rice? I’m gonna rattle on you to Uncle Roger!

9. @Vaccaro88

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

i love your channel but i never rush the rice to get into the fridge and i always have it up to 4-5 days without a problem. Seems like it need to have more knownledge about this.Cheers from sweden!<3

10. @JPlokford

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Wine pairing is total woo.

11. @oOKidKeyOo

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I know that I'm maybe to late, but please, and you can also test this, put the salt at the end in the water when the water is boiling.
    The salt varies the molekular structure of the water and it will not boil as fast as without.
    Love a all, thanks for the video <3

12. @Sancho5150

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

The rice thing for us body builders makes no sense. We meal prep and white rice is the main ingredient that we spread throughout the week.

13. @meg_pflueger

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I usually let my rice get up to a boil with the water and the lid on. Once it starts to boil i turn off the stove and let it stream as the stove cools. Occasionally I lift the lid a little so it doesn't boil over. Once it's cooled down with the stove its ready to eat. 🤷🏼 It's how my family has always done it

14. @sarahkluther

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I always cook my pasta in cold water. Much faster. Cold water and pasta on, wait 10 minutes, done

15. @cornycornsnake

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Isn’t sesame oil a finishing oil with a delicate flavor that will be lost if you cook it too much?

16. @youknowwho9247

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Let's be honest guys, if your hob takes 11 minutes to get a pan of water to boil, it's time for a new hob. 😂 We recently switched to induction – pan with a lid on boils water faster than a kettle.

17. @tigerz8174

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Ask the receiver, they want wet!!
    Including baking

18. @jordanpreston8996

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

You should do the same pasta dish but the only difference is one has a tablespoon of pasta water, then see if Ben can taste the difference without knowing which is which. Other examples could be a pinch of salt in a cake or other desert or a teaspoon of sugar in a tomato sauce. 😊😊

Also ps I suggested this type of video in November 2021, love it!!

19. @farfignewgenfrackenheimer8865

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Many paper cups are not recyclable due to the coatings used on the paper.

20. @AprilDukes

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Rosana pansino says to do Dry into wet

21. @paulkeogh3518

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Marco Pierre White says add the flour into the beaten eggs for Yorkshire pudding batter. As he likely the greatest Yorkshire born Chef ever who are we to argue?

22. @sandralouth3103

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Wine that you like is the right wine with your food.

23. @ScottLuvsRenFaires

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I wonder if cold water allows pasta to stick more. Even with boiling water, I often find penne pasta sticks to my pan. Cold water just gives it more chance to glue itself, I would think.

24. @coreygardner1371

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I've found most kitchen rules are based on opinion, rather than reason and vary from region to region.
    Although, if a professional kitchen has certain rules, then everyone working there should know and adhere to those rules, so that everyone is on the same page to avoid incidental issues…

25. @ryanwilliamson5714

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

My half italian dad actually uses water from a boiled kettle for his, does my head in because if you use fresh egg based pasta if its a long pasta you can literally feel the difference in the mouthfeel. Can sometimes be al dente yet still feel slightly slimey using kettle water yet never slimey when boiling water

26. @dickydoes

8ve PUT IT IN!!

27. @JDMish

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

If they only switched sides, their elbows wouldn't be bumping into each other.

28. @Imperial_Squid

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

18:20 100% agreed, summer fish and chips is cider territory, something fruity and a bit sharp cuts through the heavy fat but doesn't overpower the fish itself, perfect!

29. @mammie19621962

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I've NEVER heard this rice rule!!! 🤷‍♀️ And I've never gotten sick from it or heard of someone getting sick from it. 🤷‍♀️

30. @vierahawks2013

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

With food pairing, I always go for sake instead of wine. I think it plays with food so much better.

31. @religionisapoison2413

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

18:00 rosemary forward chicken works great with red wine.

32. @purplecheesecake9102

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

As someone who bakes a lot, dry into wet all the way. It may not make a big difference in the final product but it definitely makes a baker's life a little easier during the mixing process.

33. @ertjiesb4158

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I have always done dry into wet.

34. @hhykelly

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

The wine rule feels like a safety net for beginners or uncertain situations, but definitely can be broken!!

35. @KatZwe

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I have seen a hundret videos, where they cream butter and sugar together in bowl, put the eggs in and then add the flour+baking powder mixture. So no, it is not a rule. You just have less flour dust, if you do it wet into dry (cause the wet stuff pushes the dry stuff down).

36. @Xannthas

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I've always done wet into dry, but the more I think about it, the more I think dry into wet is probably superior for most situations not requiring something specific.
    1. One less dirty dish, since you're whisking the wet stuff IN the bowl you're about to use anyway, instead of mixing in something else then pouring into the mixing bowl.
    2. Less likely to have those dry pockets at the bottom edges on bowls that have a bottom edge.
    3. More room to go full-ham on mixing the wet stuff beforehand.
    And a more recent example for me, I had butter that I thought I softened enough for cookies, but when I started to mix it in, the center of each bar was still firm, so I had to kinda whack at it with the mixer to break it up, which obviously meant I was working the gluten more than planned. If I did wet before dry, I would've noticed beforehand and gotten it melted down before adding the dry stuff.

37. @DanielDugovic

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

It seems Jamie broke a fifth rule about ingesting the equipment. 😀

38. @gregorydaines

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

The advantage of dry into wet is that you dont get clumps of flour in the bottom of a too small mixing jug

39. @sazji

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

American here – I’ve never heard rule number one. When I think of almost any recipe – pancakes, cookies, quick breads, cakes – it’s “add dry ingredients into wet.” Sometimes sifting in and
    mixing in increments. The only exception I can think of is American-style biscuits (a bit similar to scones) but that isn’t a batter anyway.

Also the storage of rice – i’ve never heard that. In restaurants I remember never to set something hot on top of something cold in the fridge since it can lead to long times in that danger zone, but that’s more an issue when you’re talking about a large volume of food.

40. @mjkay8660

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I luv my rice pudding and bread pudding. Don't mess w them. Tyvm!

41. @cathybryant1424

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I worked at a bakery and we always did dry into wet and it's something I do anytime I bake sweets or breads.

42. @AnotherWittyUsername.

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

Zinfandel with turkey. It's the only time I ever drink wine because it's a delicious pairing.

43. @MaheerKibria

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I've always done dry into wet. It has always given me better results mostly because i dont have dry pockets in the corner that i have to work to incorporate. The exception being when using a stand mixer and i wouldn't be surprised if that is the origin of that bit. Almost all my older pancake and batter recipes from family members with hand mixing have dry into wet. Also where the hell do you get this thing about rice. So rice can have spores of bacillus cereus which produces a toxin. As long as you get that rice in the fridge before enough toxins are produced it can stay in the fridge for a while. Basically you need to get it below 40F since below that bacillus cereus is dormant.

44. @geiroveeilertsen7112

1:03 "Who is going dry and who is going wet?" wink wink, nudge nudge 😂😂😂

45. @SirWhiteRabbit-gr5so

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

When Labrusco first was sold in the US, I don't remember it being a sparkling wine. It was more of a sharp "Italian Red" like cheap chianti. Perhaps today they preserve the effervescence better??

46. @zomerkoninkjes

January 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm

I wonder if dry into wet would work worse with pancakes? Because the ratio of wet to dry is higher

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Food UK

Why Nicole Pisani Left a Top London Restaurant to Work with Kids in Schools

Published

on

In this week’s podcast we’re talking to Chef Nicole Pisani about the importance of food in schools.

Grab on-demand access to Sorted LIVE: Washed UP HERE: https://store.sortedfood.com/collections/live-shows

Time to CANCEL your boring dinners!

The awesome benefits of the Sidekick app:
– Unlock your kitchen confidence to discover awesome new ingredients and dishes
– Reduce the stress of deciding what to cook EVERY day
– Grocery shopping made simple, with an automatically-generated list
– Cook more sustainably & reduce your food waste

source

Continue Reading

Food UK

Pistachio Citrus Drizzle Cake Recipe | Sorted Food

Published

on

If you’re looking for an amazing cake recipe this spring, we’ve got one for you. This delicious gluten free cake is flavoured with grapefruit and pistachio. A little different and outside the box, yes, but a showstopper nonetheless.

Get the recipe: http://bit.ly/PistachioGFCake
Free cooking lessons: http://bit.ly/2iVEPzO

HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to SORTEDfood!

source

Continue Reading

Food UK

Chocolate Snickers Recipe | Sorted Food

Published

on

Recreating confectionary and chocolate bars is good fun, because you know exactly what you’re aiming for and are set out to …

source

Continue Reading

Food UK

Taste Testing More INCREDIBLE Global Street Food | Sorted Food

Published

on

Today we’re shining a light on some more global street food dishes suggested by our community!

Time to CANCEL your boring dinners!

The awesome benefits of the Sidekick app:
– Unlock your kitchen confidence to discover awesome new ingredients and dishes
– Reduce the stress of deciding what to cook EVERY day
– Grocery shopping made simple, with an automatically-generated list
– Cook more sustainably & reduce your food waste

source

Continue Reading

Food UK

Floating Island Recipe | Sorted Food

Published

on

Floating Islands have a very posh-sounding French name, îles flottantes, and everyone think they’re really difficult to make… Well here’s a surprise, they’re really easy!!

Ben’s got a foolproof method of making them perfect each time. He even has time to show you how to make a really impressive sugar cage… Again, it’s super easy!

Get the full recipe here: http://sortedfood.com/floatingisland

Wanna become an awesome home cook? Sign up to our Sidekick app and be the hero of your kitchen: https://bit.ly/3tfFgsR

source